This commissioning statement refers to:
- Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES) for drop foot
This commissioning statement does not refer to:
- Other forms of electrical stimulation for conditions other than foot drop
- FES for upper limb
- Implanted FES
- Wireless FES
- The CCG do not routinely commissionthese procedures. Funding will only be considered via a IFR application - please see Functional Electrical Stimulation - IFR Commissioning Statement
The objective of this Commissioning Statement is to:
- To reduce the variation in access to Functional Electrical stimulation (FES).
- To ensure that Functional Electrical stimulation (FES) is commissioned where there is acceptable evidence of clinical benefit and cost-effectiveness.
- To promote the cost-effective use of healthcare resources.
- This policy is in line with the guidance in NICE IPG 278 - Functional electrical stimulation for drop foot of central neurological origin:
- The CCGs routinely commission Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES) for drop foot, with the non-implantable device (skin surface FES - OPCS A70.7 application of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulator), in line with NICE IPG278. Provisions for clinical, governance, consent, audit and research are fully expected to be in place for this service.
- The patient must be over 18 years of age and being treated for foot drop (deficit of dorsiflexion and / or eversion of the ankle) which must be of central neurological origin, due to an upper motor neurone lesion i.e. one that occurs in the brain or spinal cord at or above the level of T12.
- Upper motor neurone lesions resulting in dropped foot occur in conditions such as stroke, brain injury, multiple sclerosis, incomplete spinal cord injury at T12 or above, cerebral palsy, familial /hereditary spastic paraparesis and Parkinson's disease.
Assurance & Governance
- This policy was developed on: 05.2017
- This policy was approved by: Clinical Strategy Group (NK) and Clinical Cabinet (WK)
- Date approved: 05.2017
- Publication Date: 06.2017
- Review Date: 04.2018
- Ref No: PA20 - 05.2017
Any feedback or suggestions to improve this guidance should be sent to: email@example.com
Only the electronic version is maintained, once printed this is no longer a controlled document
Criteria Led - Commissioning Statements >
Functional Electrical Stimulation (for foot drop) - Criteria Led Commissioning Statement