'Staying Warm this Winter' (Kirklees) Services

Review in progress

Disclaimer: The guidance contains helpful primary care information for management of referrals and up to date referral criteria. These guidelines are locality specific to best reflect local services. This guidance does not override or replace the individual responsibility of healthcare and social care professionals involved in the delivery of care to make informed professional judgements appropriate to the circumstances of the individual.

Saving Money or Increasing Income

BetterOff Kirklees
  • Betteroff is a service for people who live in Kirklees. BetterOff will show you the benefits you are entitled to and will help you to apply for them online. BetterOff also provides information on how to find and apply for jobs
  • www.betteroffkirklees.org.uk
Citizens Advice
  • Citizens Advice could help you save money on your energy bills.
  • Citizen Advice can provide you with advice about switching energy tariffs and suppliers, advice about fuel debt, benefit checks and application support.
  • Tel: 0344 848 7970

Home Improvements

Better Homes Kirklees
  • Improvements which may be available include standard and hard to treat wall insulation, new boilers, replacement windows and doors, new central heating systems and renewable technologies such as solar photovoltaic (PV) panels.
  • www.betterhomesyorkshire.co.uk
  • Tel: 0808 231 3629 or 0113 834 6878
MEARS Home Improvement
  • Mears offer the following to Kirklees homeowners for FREE:-
    • Gas services and heating repairs up to the value of £250 for homeowners with little household income in receipt of DLA/PIP, Pension Credit Guaranteed or state pension only.
    • Handyperson service to help with minor repairs and adaptations for homeowners in receipt of DLA/PIP or Pension Credit Guaranteed.
    • Advice and signposting service
  • Tel: 0800 032 4483

Help with Housing

  • Housing Solutions Service (Private rented properties)
    • The Housing Solutions Service can help you to find, keep and maintain an affordable home.
    • Housing Solutions can support you if you are living in a privately rented house and our landlord has not carried out necessary repairs, or if they do not have up-to-date safety certificates.
  • www.kirklees.gov.uk/housing
  • Tel: 01484 221350 - E-Mail: housing.solutions@kirklees.gov.uk
KNH (Council Properties)
  • Kirklees Neighbourhood Housing (KNH) – manages council homes and tenancies on behalf of Kirklees Council. Specialist staff can provide you with advice about staying warm and saving energy and can help you better understand your fuel bills, running costs and changing suppliers.
  • They can also advise on damp and condensation issues.
  • They have a team of advisors who can help with budgeting, debt and benefits. These services are confidential and free to council tenants.
  • www.knh.org.uk
  • E-mail: housing@knh.or.uk
Other Social Housing
  • If you live in social housing please contact your housing provider to see what they can offer with regards to Affordable Warmth.

Other Advice Services

Age UK (Calderdale & Kirklees)
  • Advice, information and general help to people aged 50+
  • Age UK Winter Home Energy Checks:
    • Advice on how to keep warm and save energy
    • Supply and install simple energy efficiency devices such as draught excluders
    • Suggested additional sources of support
  • Age UK have offices in Halifax, Huddersfield and Batley.
  • Tel: 01484 535994
Holmfirth Transition Town – HOTT (for people in the Holme Valley)
  • Help for people whose health is vulnerable to winter cold by providing draught proofing materials and basic insulation.
  • There is a stall in Holmfirth Library, 10.00 to 12.00 on the first Friday morning of each month between September and March.
  • E-mail: info@hott.org.uk
  • Tel: 01484 686912
Energy Saving Advice
  • This is an impartial advice service, funded by the Government and provided by the Energy Saving Trust.
  • Tel: 0300 123 1234
  • Be an Energy Shopper
  • Find the best deal for your gas and electricity.
  • www.goenergyshopping.co.uk
The Pension Service
  • Support is offered to pensioners or people close to retirement with advice on state pensions and pension credit entitlements. Personal home consultations can also be arranged if required.
  • www.direct.gov.uk
  • Tel: 0800 731 7898

Assurance & Governance

  • This guidance was developed on: 01.2018
  • This guidance was ratified by: The OSCAR Assurance Group
  • Date ratified: 01.2018
  • Publication Date: 01.2018
  • Review Date: 01.2020
  • Ref No: LW13 - 01.2018
Any feedback or suggestions to improve this guidance should be sent to: oscaradmin@this.nhs.uk
Only the electronic version is maintained, once printed this is no longer a controlled document


Home > Care Pathways > Lifestyle & Wellbeing* > 'Staying Warm this Winter' (Kirklees) Services